We wanted to keep the light and bright feel in this room, so chose Farrow and Ball Blackened for all of the walls which is fresh but not too cold.
Unlike the kitchen and bathroom, the bedroom didn’t require any structural work.
There was a lot of hideous woodchip wallpaper that needed to be stripped which left the walls in need of plastering, and the ceiling needed endless coats of sealant and white paint to cover the tobacco staining, but aside from that it was mainly decorative.
I still can’t quite believe that I actually have a real life dressing room! Such a ridiculous indulgence, but at the moment we have no need for another bedroom/bathroom or a study, so when I saw this space I immediately thought that my teenage dream could come true.
In theory the bathroom should have been relatively simple to transform, but its small size made it a bit of a challenge.
The kitchen is probably the room that has been transformed the most in the renovation (although it’s a close call with the bathroom) and was also the most major project. I knew as soon as we first viewed the cottage that I would have to take down the wall dividing the kitchen and the dining/living area. It’s a big place and I just didn’t see the point in having so much living space and yet such a pokey little kitchen. P wasn’t convinced originally as he was worried it would affect our ability to use the space as a living room if we needed an additional bedroom down the line and/or when we came to sell, but after some gentle persuasion he saw the light!
After seven months of what can only be described as property renovation hell, on 18th February 2017 we finally moved into the White Cottage.
I thought Paul and I would have a real battle when it came to paint colours, but actually he has ended up being more receptive than I expected to all of my suggestions (ie 50 shades of grey, plus a couple of real bold statement colours thrown in for good measure) and I have been less stubborn than I thought on the colours that I liked but he wasn’t so keen on.
Yet again it’s been months since I’ve posted anything and yet again it’s been due to lack of progress/lack of anything to write about, combined being too frustrated by the ongoing issues and delays to even talk about the renovation, let alone write about.
But, again, we’ve *hopefully* turned a corner, things are progressing again and so I’m back to being excited and thinking about the fun bits!
It’s been a long time since I last posted anything, mostly because I haven’t had time/couldn’t bear to spend any more time thinking about the renovation!
There was a period of a few weeks where it all became a bit too much and I couldn’t set foot in the place without noticing something (minor, but seemingly incredibly major) which inevitably made me burst into tears! There were no floors, missing walls, dust absolutely everywhere (including over all of our lovely furniture, which hadn’t been particularly well covered) and progress seemed to be ridiculously slow. Nick the builder then decided that was the ideal time to go on a 10 day holiday, meaning that things slowed down even further. Sockets and light switches were put in the wrong place which upset and annoyed me, and several our beautiful original floorboards were cut badly /snapped which absolutely broke my heart! Everything seemed to be getting worse and worse rather than getting better and it got to the point that I felt sick everytime I knew I had to go round to the house. The most frustrating thing was that whilst all of the hardcore building work, rewiring and plumbing was going on, there was very little that we ourselves could do, and so it began to feel like the place wasn’t actually ‘ours’ anymore.
After the initial rush of hardcore DIY, things have started to slow down a bit. I’ve done as much of the wallpaper stripping as I could do without having to hang off ladders over staircases which I didn’t fancy much, and P is still plodding along with the windows, but needs the help of the builders to do the exteriors. The building work was due to start the week before last, but during a meeting with our builder Nick it became apparent that we weren’t ready at all! Whilst we’d been focusing on getting everything ready in the house itself, we hadn’t yet decided on all the relevant fixtures and fittings that were essential for the work to commence! Cue several days of going to appointments with kitchen companies, and hours sat on the internet researching everything from plug sockets to taps and cookers to radiators! I had no idea just how time consuming it would be sourcing every little detail for the house – Nick was great and was always on hand to advise us, but ultimately it was all down to us which I found quite stressful. P and I are both quite indecisive and also perfectionists, so deciding on each detail is quite painstaking. Add to this the fact that we apparently have expensive taste but a low budget, so were always trying to find the best price/cheaper alternatives, and we found days just passing us by in a haze of Google, Which and price comparison sites!