Yet again it’s been months since I’ve posted anything and yet again it’s been due to lack of progress/lack of anything to write about, combined being too frustrated by the ongoing issues and delays to even talk about the renovation, let alone write about.
But, again, we’ve *hopefully* turned a corner, things are progressing again and so I’m back to being excited and thinking about the fun bits!
The recent problems were predominantly due to having our power cut off for an entire month – and an ongoing battle with edf that included about six visits from their engineers, four different versions of the same certificate from our electricians and about 12 hours of time spent on the phone to various edf team members, each with varying degrees of helpfulness. It was a laugh a minute.
Obviously with no power, no work could be done on the house so everything ground to a complete standstill and P and I, as well as Nick the builder were all at our wits end.
Eventually we got the power back and yes I did shed a tear when I saw a working light in the house- who knew that in 2016 it was possible to get so excited about electricity.
Almost immediately after that P and I went on holiday for a couple of weeks- the holiday that we had booked earlier in the year when we thought that we would have moved in, had a few house parties, saved some money and been fully settled by the time we took off. As it was, the holiday came at the worst possible time as we really needed to be at home making decisions about paint/grout/position of lights and god knows what else. It was an amazing holiday and I don’t regret it for a minute, but again, progress on the house ground to a halt.
But we got back a couple of weeks ago, and since then the project has progressed so much that it almost feels like a house again. Due being so far beyond schedule that I don’t actually remember what the schedule was, we decided to get a bit more help from Nick and the team than originally planned, so they have stripped and painted all of our lovely original windows, and also painted the whole place white to give a good base for whatever colours we choose.
The bathroom is getting there, but annoyingly we ran out of tiles (due to the builders tiling four rows higher than they should have done on three of the walls, and then having to chip the extra rows off after a mini strop from me!) so we now need to wait for more to be delivered before the bath and sink can be put into place and all the plumbing connected. The kitchen is all in place and just needs the worktops to be installed and the tiles to be done.
And everything else just needs a hell of a lot of cleaning and then to be painted (more on this to come).
Oh and then there’s the small issue of sanding and lacquering all the floors…again something we were planning to do ourselves but have decided to get someone to do due to our DIY mojos disappearing!
My family have all got some time off over Christmas and have offered to help with the painting, so we’re keeping everything crossed that we’ll be able to actually move in on January.